To quote the famous French fabulist Jean de La Fontaine, “A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it”. Well, you never know what awaits you on the road of life. But on the concrete roads that you navigate to reach your destinations each day, the threat of meeting with accidents is always present. If this threat ever turns into a reality and you find yourself being involved in a car accident, you need to take matters into your own hands rather than depend on destiny to take its course. As a victim of a car accident, you can file a lawsuit and claim compensation for your injuries and suffering. In this article, we tell how a personal injury lawyer for car accidents can help you in this matter.
Do you need a personal injury lawyer for every car accident case?
Car accidents often leave victims with physical injuries, mental agony, and financial loss. As a victim, you can recover your losses through financial compensation. But for that, you have to prove that the accident was caused due to the negligence of another person. It is easy to establish such a claim only when there is complete clarity of liability and the injuries you suffered are minor with low medical expenses. In such cases, you may proceed with your claim without the help of a personal injury lawyer, provided you are fully aware of the legal procedures and the intricacies of claiming compensations.
When to consult a personal injury lawyer for your accident case?
It is important to seek legal advice from a personal injury lawyer for car accidents under the following circumstances:
- There is no clear liability or it involves more than one party
- You are not sure how to estimate your claim
- The offer the adjuster made to you is far less than what you believe your claim is worth
- You are not confident about negotiating the settlement on your own
- Your claim of loss of income is difficult to prove
- The insurance company has offered a very low settlement amount
- The insurance company has refused to entertain your claim, but you believe there is justification for your claim
- You are grievously injured with high medical bills
- Your injury has resulted in residual disability and will lead to future medical expenses
- The circumstances of the accident are intricate and need to be examined by an expert
- You have been served with a lawsuit by the other party
When you are faced with any of the above-mentioned issues, a personal injury lawyer is the best person to help you out.
How early should you consult a personal injury lawyer after the accident occurs?
If your case is not a clear-cut one, make effort to consult a lawyer before making any move for claiming compensation. In case you have started handling your own claim but are facing difficulties on the way, you need to seek professional help before going ahead any further.